Spring is one of my favorite seasons; it’s naturally a time of growth and renewal and for GreenStone it is also a time of giving back to our community! For the last five years GreenStone has been actively involved with Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the global leader of the breast cancer movement. I believe breast cancer impacts everyone so in 2008 I introduced the Mid-Michigan Komen Race for the Cure® to our corporate staff and I started recruiting activists, survivors, and general participants to participate in the race and/or support our team. To no surprise many of our staff have been directly or indirectly impacted by breast cancer and they were ready to get involved. Since then our race participation and fundraising for the cure has spread companywide. Our staff have touched and amazed me with their generosity and compassion. Staff have taken a stand by racing, fundraising, and donating thousands of their own dollars to the fight against breast cancer.
This year is the 10th anniversary of the Komen Mid-Michigan Race for the Cure® and our company started gearing up in mid- February by beginning the recruitment of race participants. In addition, we have put together a gift basket silent auction. The baskets for the auction are themed and each item in the baskets were donated by employees. Basket themes include Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville, ultimate tailgate, dog lovers, picnic, family game night, and more. Silent bidding runs for four days and the winner of each auction will pay for their bid by making a donation to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®. On the last day of the auction we host a “Think Pink” day. Activities vary by location however, at the corporate office this year we will celebrate by hosting a bingo luncheon for a donation to the cause.
Last year’s auction and other events raised over $4,500 and this year we’re hoping to raise even more! The cool thing about donating to this cause is that up to 75 percent of the net income from the Race stays right here in our community to fund vital breast cancer health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs. And the remaining 25 percent supports the Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research. I invite you to learn more about Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® by visiting our team page at http://midmichigan.info-komen.org/goto/GreenStone. And we hope to see you at the race too!
Komen Mid-Michigan Race for the Cure® - Michigan State Capitol; April 29th, 2012 @ 2 PM